Thursday, January 29, 2009

Matilda Who Told Such Dreadful Lies... by Hilaire Belloc



When finding Matilda Who told Such Dreadful Lies... by Hilaire Belloc, I thought that it was about just plain old Matilda, a movie which I loved when I was little. I was quite wrong though. When pulling the book from the Curriculum Lab shelf I was amazed to see a mysterious and scary little girl on the cover. This alone made me wonder what the book was going to be about.

Matilda was a little girl who enjoyed getting into a lot of mischif. She called the police one day while her Aunt was out and said that there was a fire. The firemen came and tried to put out the fire in which was not there. After that everyone thought that she was a liar and later when there really was a fire no one believed her and left her house to burn.

The moral of the story, not to cry wolf, is a good thing for young children to learn but I didn't really like the story overall. The pictures were very gloomy and if I was a young kid they might have freaked me out a little bit. I would have much rather read a story about the real Matilda.

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe no one has commented on this. This was my daughter's favorite book for the longest time. We had to get it out of the library all most every other week. I was shocked the first time I read it to her, but she loved it, absolutely.

    ReplyDelete