Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt


I had first encountered Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt in my Oral Interpretations class last semester. One of the girls in the class brought it in to read for one of her presentation and I thought that it was really cute.
Don't be fooled when you look at the cover thought. This squirrel is much more than meets the eye. Scaredy Squirrel starts off with an introduction of what he is afraid of which some of them are things that you would never think of. These include: tarantulas, green Martians, sharks and killer bees to name a few. It goes through his many routines of eating nuts and looking at his view because he is too scared to leave his tree. One day a swarm of "killer bees" comes and knocks his emergency kit out the window. He falls out of the window after it and soon relizes something fascinating about himself. After this he adds a little extra to his daily routine.
I think that this is a great story for kids and I can actually relate to it also. When I was little, I was very scared to go to new places or do new things, a lot like Scaredy Squirrel. I would do anything to stay in my comfort zone. As I explored more things, I realized that the outside world wasn't so bad. I think that this is a good story for kids to read too because it shows them that even if something goes wrong, it can bring about something very good and it shows this in a humorous way.
It is a fast and easy read and I think that the book would be best for Kindergarten to third graders. The pictures are also very creative and make the book even more interesting to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment