Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Gulps by Rosemary Wells




When looking at the colorful cover of The Gulps by Rosemary Wells, I see a bunch of fat bunny rabbits eating a bunch of junk food but what I didn't notice was the smaller rabbit in the bottom corner eating a carrot until after I had read the story.

I actually decided to pick up this story because it was illustrated by Marc Brown and I had always loved the Arthur books when I was younger.

The story is about a family that lives off of junk food. The youngest Gulp tries to tell the rest of the family that they need to rethink their eating habits but it does not work until the family's car breaks down because it cannot handle their weight. They go through a lot of fun activities and finally realize that the green stuff isn't so gross after all.

I would recommend this story for Preschool to first graders because it shows them that just eating junk food isn't good for you. And if they don't eat healthy, they won't be able to do all of the fun stuff that they want because they will be tired and lazy. The story has amazing pictures and a great story also that I think kids, teachers and parents will love.

No comments:

Post a Comment