Thursday, March 5, 2009

Happy to Be Nappy by Bell Hooks and Chris Raschka


When I began reading this book, I think that I was looking for something MORE being that it is considered a controversial book. The whole time I was reading it I was trying to figure out why it was so controversial.
The only thing that the book talked about was different things that you could do with "nappy" hair and how it is beautiful. I didn't know if it was looked at as controversial because it talked about African American hair alone and some people may not think that that is necessary...I don't know, I am COMPLETELY STUMPED!!
I thought a funny thing was that the other day while I was with my 2nd grade reading buddy, who is African American, told me that my hair looked nappy because it was crunched and had a lot of hair spray in it. I did not take offense to it or anything and I do not think that she meant it as a good or a bad thing. I just think it's interesting
Back to the book though. I did not really enjoy it. I thought that it was really hard to read the writing because it was all in cursive. If I had trouble reading the cursive, I do not know how little kids would be able to read it. I also thought that the pictures were kind of bland and did not completely go with what the text was saying even though it was supposed to. So overall, I am confused with why it is a controversial book but I do not think I would have it in my classroom because I do not find it all that interesting and it's hard to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment