Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Misfits 1&2 by James Howe


At first when I began reading The Misfits I did not know how much I would like the story. But as soon as I began to read it I couldn't help but to think where I had heard the story before. Had I read the book before? I didn't think so. Was there some kind of movie made about it? I still don't know. I am still stumped as to why this book rings such a bell in my head.
After reading the story though, I really ended up enjoying the book. I thought that James Howe is a brilliant author and knows exactly how to bring people back into junior high. I did think that some of the characters were a little too much but some kids, especially in junior high, are like that.
I didn't like the fact that this book was hated so much by some people just because of the fact that there is homosexuality in it. Even though they are kids doesn't mean that they don't need to learn it sometime. If you shelter a kid their whole life then when they get out into the real world they aren't going to know what to do. I thought it brought the topic out in a good way without putting too much obvious emphasis on it. I really liked the characters and could see myself being friends with most of them (I did find Addie to be very annoying though.)
Like I said, I thought that the book was really good and I would definately have it in my classroom in the future. It is a book that shows a lot of different aspects of a life and just sucks you right back into junior high school...which I guess isn't always amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment