Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mommy Laid an Egg by Babette Cole


One of the main things that I can say about this book is weird! At first I felt like this book was very cute but very unrealistic. The parents thought it was time that their children knew where babies came from. But instead of telling them how it actually happens, they make up things like, a dinosaur brings them or mommy laid an egg and many others like that.
Now where it gets weird is when the kids decide that their parents are not telling the truth so they decide to show their parents how it happens. From this point on I could definately see why the book was considered controversial and I myself will NEVER EVER let my kids see it. I think that they show the whole "where babies come from" in a horrible light.
There is a page where the text says, "Here are some ways....mommies and daddies fit together." Then it continues to show different ways that parents have sex. (So pretty much sex positions). So my question is...is why do little kids have to know sex positions? Is that really necessary? And this book was considered to be for all ages!! I couldn't believe it!
I think that this is an excellent idea for what a book can be about. I just think that it is totally the wrong way of going about it. I think that kids can learn about sex without having to see graphic pictures of a mom on top of a dad. So, I would never have this book in my room and when I have kids they will NOT be reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment