Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Un-Wedding by Babette Cole

This book was amazing!! I loved how the two little kids made up this clever little plan because they realized that their parents were not happy anymore. Now this one I can see why some people may feel that it is controversial but I don't feel like it is at all. I think that since divorce is becoming such a normal thing now a days that this book is a great one to explain to kids that sometimes parents don't love each other anymore but that it isn't the children's fault and they can still be happy.

The story starts out with Mr. and Mrs. Ogglebut and they could not stand each other. They never could agree on anything. There two children, Paula and Demetrius, noticed this and at first thought it was all there fault. They put up a sign at school about kids that had parents who were having troubles. They realized that there were many others and that it was not the kids fault at all. So they decided that they would have an un-wedding with an un-ceremony, an un-cake, and then at the end for a present they knocked down the house and built two instead that were right next to each other. The two children now had two homes and got two of everything and ended up being very happy.

I know that this book kind of sugar coats the whole divorce idea, but I feel like it's a good book for Kindergarten to Sixth grade. It also has great colorful pictures and some of them even have other things going on. I would love to have this book in any of my classrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment