Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dear Mr. Blueberry by Simon James


This book sat out on one of the tables in the Curriculum Lab and when I saw it and looked inside I knew that I had to read it because was a little girl, Emily, writing back and forth to someone named Mr. Blueberry. Later I found out that Mr. Blueberry was her teacher.
Her first letter starts out with her telling her teacher that she loves whales and that she thinks she saw one in her pond that night. He writes back telling her that that cannot be true because whales are too big to live in a pond and they have to have salt water. Emily does not want to listen to him about the fact the a whale may be too big to fit so she just takes his advice and puts salt in the pond each night. She thinks that the whale looks very happy because of this. They continue to write back and forth and Mr. Blueberry continues to try to burst Emily's bubble in telling her that there is no way that a whale could be living in her pond. She is not having any of this and continues to tell him about seeing him every night until one night after she receives a letter from Mr. Blueberry saying that whales are migratory, the whale leaves. He tells Emily that she can go to the ocean to see whales. Emily goes to the beach and sees her whale, who she named Arthur and they finally get to say good bye to each other.
I don't really know the exact reason why I enjoyed this book so much. I don't know if it's because of the great imagination of Emily or if it is because in the end it all ended up to be true (at least to her.) I didn't necessarily like that Mr. Blueberry kept telling her that what she was seeing was not impossible but I thought it also added a little something the story.
I think that this would be a good story though to show kids that even if someone tells them that they are not able to do something, have something, or see something that they really can. I think for some kids that is really important for them to know. I think this would be a good book for a younger age group, probably Preschool to First grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment