Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rainstorm by Barbara Lehman


A book that is filled with different worlds and many new friends all without saying a single word is how I would describe Rainstorm by Barbara Lehman. This is a great book that tells about a little boy who is all alone on a rainy night and ends up finding a whole new world because of it.
The story begins with a little boy who is playing with his ball and when chases it and ends up finding a secret key underneath the chair. He tries to open anything that he possibly could in the house but finds that a chest is the special thing. Inside the chest is a ladder and the little boy follows it. He finds a new world that has many new people. He makes sure that he gets home by supper time but he doesn't ever hesitate to go back whenever he can.
This is a good book for preschool to second graders to look at. While looking at it they can take their imaginations away to any place that they wish. There is a great story to it even though there is no reading to go along with it and the pictures are great too.

1 comment:

  1. Danielle,

    I am glad you wrote so highly about this book for two reasons; 1.) it is a picture book, and I am looking for wordless picture books, and 2.) you recommended it for younger grades, which would help me specifically with my practicum students. I think that the fact that you said this book tells a great adventure without the words would speak very highly with my kiddos. They get drawn into the books we read together, and this would be a great way to get their own interpretation of what they think is going on. I have yet to read a wordless book, but I think I am getting over that worry and would like to start with one of your recommendations to ease my fear =)

    ReplyDelete