Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Topsy-Turvies by Francesca Simon


Just seeing four people on the front cover standing outside their house in pajamas made me wonder what this book could possibly be about. And besides that having half of the title being upside down too. This book was exactly what the front cover makes you expect. It is about a family that does everything COMPLETELY SDRAWKCAB (backwards).
This family wakes up at midnight, eats with their feet in their bedroom, takes baths outside of the bathtub, and the kids teach the parents in "school". All parts of their life continue to be the same until their neighbor comes over to ask them to watch little Lucy for the day.They find her dress and her house to be very odd and try to help out by rearranging it in a way that they thought was best (so totally backwards). As they were eating with their feet, this time in the kitchen, a burglar came in through the window. They thought it was just someone visiting, so to welcome him they began to throw food at him. The burglar ran straight out of the house and their neighbor saw this and thanked them for scaring off the man from robbing her.
I thought that this book was okay but that it didn't have a good enough plot to hold me in. It was cute to show people that people may have different lifestyles but I thought that it was so out there that it was just totally unbelievable (obviously, I guess). Kids may see it differently as I did but it would probably not be one that I would hand out to my students. I thought it was cute at parts and the pictures were good but I just was not hooked. It would probably be best for Preschool to First grade though.

No comments:

Post a Comment