Thursday, April 9, 2009

Chowder by Peter Brown


If you have a great imagination then Chowder is for you. It is about a dog who pretty much acts like a person. All of the dogs and people in the community think that he is weird and belongs in a petting zoo because of this.
Chowder sees a billboard one day when looking through his telescope. He sees that the grocery store that they always visit now has a petting zoo and he really wants to go because everyone tells him he should be in one. He feels like maybe he can finally have some friends. He ends up loosing their kick ball in a tree and then finally figuring out how to get it down. Once he does they become friends for life.
I though that this was a cute story but really one that. I thought that you could get some lessons from it like, even if you may be a little different from the people around you that their is always somewhere that you fit in. And that it's okay to be different. But I also felt like the book was a little too far fetched. Having a dog who is the boss of the house and acts like he is a real human is adorable but not real in the way that Chowder is written about.
I probably would not have this book in my classroom unless I was having a problem with students fitting in. I think the book would work well for first to third graders but there are a lot of words on some of the pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment