Thursday, April 9, 2009

Doctor Ted by Andrea Beaty


While reading Doctor Ted I kind of felt bad for the little kid. He was just trying to do something nice for everyone and be imaginative and all of the grown ups kept yelling at him. Not until the end did they finally realize that it was okay that he was pretending to be a doctor, even though they already had one. If you just read the first few pages of the book, it could be very depressing for a little kid. It kind of sends the message not to play pretend.
I think the book talked well about how some kids imaginations can work though. It started with Ted waking up and bumping his knee. He needed to find a doctor but could not so he decided to become one. His mother, teacher, and principal did not like this and just told him to eat his lunch or get back to work which I thought was unfair. It wasn't until the end where the teacher got hurt and needed a doctor and Ted came to the rescue.
I thought overall it was an iffy book for me. I thought the ending plot was okay and that the pictures were nothing very special. I would maybe consider having it my classroom for free read for kids from Kindergarten to 2nd grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment