Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mr. Ouchy's First Day by BG Hennessy


I, as an adult, really enjoyed this book. It talks about Mr. Ouchy's first day of teaching and how nervous he is before. This could also be a really good lesson for kids in showing them that even adults get nervous about things and that it is a normal thing. I also thought that some of the things that the students said were very true and I could actually see them saying it. It was interesting how Mr. O talked about each.
It is always a good thing for a teacher to be open to new ideas and I loved that in the end of the book he really was listening to what the kids wanted to learn how to do throughout the year. Even though some were not normal things that you would teach in school, he still considered them. I always enjoyed when the mom called him to ask how everything went. This could also show the kids that everyone is a person, even though some are at different ages. Everyone has to deal with people who are older than them and people that are younger.
I know that when it is the night before my first day of teaching, that I will feel the same way that Mr. Ouchy did. Even though I know that everyone gets nervous, it calmed me down and realized that everyone has some type of fear but everyone has to do it and just hope for the best. I think that this story would be best for first grade and above. Like I said, I even enjoyed it for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment