Wednesday, April 1, 2009

You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer by Shana Corey


So, I am not going to lie. The main reason that I even picked up this book was for a social studies project that I had to do. I thought that it looked really interesting though and we were talking about women's rights. I am not that into non-fiction books but this book was not totally that.
It was about a girl who did not having to wear tight dresses all of the time and she thought that they made her look really silly. She decided that she wanted to be different, which many people did not think was a good idea. She met a girl one day though that looked very comfortable in a bloomer outfit (dress like top with pant like bottoms in this case) and she decided that she wanted to be comfortable too and wear something like that. So, she got to work on her sewing machine. No one could believe what she was wearing when it was finally done but many women from other cities had seen it and wanted to know exactly how to make them. She received tons of mail! Soon after that everyone was making their own bloomer outfits and everyone was comfortable.
The reason that I didn't mind this book so much was that it wasn't straight facts. It actually put some plot and story line along with the facts. It made it easy to learn something about history but not be bored to death while doing it and I liked that a lot. I think that it worked really well for the social studies activities because it showed what some women did to change history.

No comments:

Post a Comment